Many people think that all Native American Reservations are rolling in casino money. In fact, one in every four families in the NiiJii Enterprise Community lives in poverty — three times higher than the state average.
NiiJii is a partnership between the Lac du Flambeau Band of Lake Superior Chippewa, the Menominee Indian Tribe of Wisconsin and the Sokaogon Chippewa Community of Mole Lake, together with eight municipal partners in northern Wisconsin.
In partnership with our neighbors, we are:
- Fostering Native entrepreneurs and creating jobs
- Creating safe places for children and improving educational opportunities
- Addressing substance abuse issues with relevant and culturally appropriate content
- Meeting basic needs for clean water, housing and health care
- Preserving Native American culture and traditions
- Protecting the Northwoods environment